Thursday, December 15, 2011

Have to begin somewhere

At the behest of others more than myself (you only have yourselves to blame for this), I shall now finally endeavor to create a blog where I might channel my obsession for music in a way that might benefit (or pester) others.  Conveniently  enough, the timing of this all coincides with the end of the year, a time when opinions reach their peak and it supposedly makes more sense to attempt to provide some closure and observations of the year to pass.  So with that my first more substantial post will most likely be my top albums of the year or some other list that might inspire some bickering from those that have actually heard of some of the albums listed (or questioning why Kreayshawn didn't make the list).

You may or may not be asking yourself the following: why someone like myself should even be contributed to the ever-overflowing world of music-blogging.  Well first off, I listen to a lot more music than you.  But beyond that, here are some tid-bits about myself and music:

  • I've never actively listened to an album by The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Bob Dylan... pretty much anything old and revered.
  • The first concert I ever went to was Korn, Powerman 5000, and Papa Roach.
  • I've been reading Pitchfork since 2006 (coincidently the same year I finally got an IPod)
  • I was once a moderator on an emo-music forum that received a few letters from record companies
  • I have seen Yeasayer live four times.
  • Albums I've aquired this year: 347
  • What I'm currently listening to: Kanye and Jay-Z's Watch the Throne
It certainly paints a bit of a fuzzy picture and I'd be lying if I said it wasn't intentional.  A blog needs opinions, stigmas, eccentricities.  I don't listen to everything.  I sometimes like things because other people tell me I should like it.  A list of albums can go a long way in describing musical patterns and habits and I imagine my list will do just that (Hint: more Paste than Pitchfork).

1 comment:

  1. The first concert I ever went to was Korn, Powerman 5000, and Papa Roach.

    ::sold::

    ReplyDelete